Saturday, February 25, 2012

What are you reading?


If I disappear for a few days or even a few weeks, I know where you can find me.  I’ll most likely be somewhere rocking back and forth, cursing George R.R. Martin’s name….or incoherently mumbling (no comments from the peanut gallery). Season 2 of the HBO series Game of Thrones is coming up soon (April 1st) (trailer below)…



…okay, only had to watch that twice before I moved on to finish this blog.  The second season is based on the second book of the ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ series, Clash of Kings.  I finished Clash around the second week of February as I wanted to read it before the series came back to screens.  Part of me wanted to read it so I wasn’t utterly shocked (and throwing things at the television, okay, I might not have went that far but know people who did) when something unexpected happened.  So I know the surprises coming up in the second season (not to mention a couple of true ‘wtfmoments that the audience will be talking about the next day).

When I finished the second book I made myself an agreement, I would avoid the third book until at least after the end of the second season of the series…  Fast forward to Friday, after work I found myself at the local bookstore (sadly it isn’t much but the only one around)…and A Storm of Swords in hand when I left.  By the time I got up and decided to write this I’m already four chapters into the book.  This is why I will be cursing GRRM’s name probably before the second season even starts…  I am going to attempt to only read so much of the book at a time, squeezing in other books while I’m at it. 

Now the real purpose of this blog, I want to know what you’re reading.  And if you have any suggestions of books or series I should check out, looking forward to adding some stuff to my to read list.  I prefer fantasy/horror, but also very interested in checking out some steampunk novels.

In 2011 I read a total of four books (including Game of Thrones), so far in 2012…I have read four books (The Hunger Games trilogy, and Clash of Kings).

My current to read list:
Boneshaker (Cherie Priest)
A Brush of Darkness (Allison Pang) (I actually started this one last year but put it down to write for NaNoWriMo just haven’t gotten back to it).
Conan (I have a collection of the Robert E Howard stories to read and the movie novel adaption from last year).
I also plan on rereading The Hobbit this summer before the movie comes out in December.  And rereading the Lioness as it has been a few years…
And if I do finish Storm of Swords…I’ll move on to Feast for Crows…

1 comment:

  1. I tried SO HARD to wait to read Clash until after I watched the 2nd season. I'm usually happier that way. But I couldn't do it. Now I'm itching to read the next one!

    Let's see...some recs: Robin Hobb (Fantasy). I started with her Farseer Trilogy (and loved it) but she's got a bunch of trilogies (or quartets) in the same universe. Have you read Bujold's Vorkosigan series (SF)? VERY good. Her Chalion series (Fantasy) is also very good. Patrick Rothfus's The Name of the Wind (Fantasy) is excellent. The second's out, though not in PB, so I've not read it yet. If you like supernaturaly stuff less the creatures that you normally see, try Carolyn Crane's Disillusionists trilogy. Very good. And if you like YA, check out Jonathan Mabry's Rot & Ruin (zombies), Beth Revis' Across the Universe (SF), PJ Haarsma's The Softwire (SF), and Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series (future dystopian).

    ReplyDelete